Neovim is a refactor, and sometimes redactor, in the tradition of Vim (which
itself derives from Stevie).
It is not a rewrite but a continuation and extension of Vim. Many clones and
derivatives exist, some very clever—but none are Vim. Neovim is built
for users who want the good parts of Vim, and more.
- Enable new contributors, remove barriers to entry.
- Unblock plugin authors.
- Deliver a first-class Lua/LuaJIT scripting alternative to Vimscript.
- Target all platforms supported by libuv.
- Leverage ongoing Vim development.
- Optimize out of the box, for new users but especially regular users.
- Deliver consistent cross-platform experience.
- In matters of taste/ambiguity, favor tradition/compatibility...
- ...but prefer usability if the benefits are extreme.
- Vim9script (or anything later than Vimscript v1)
- Turn Vim into an IDE
- Limit third-party applications (such as IDEs!) built with Neovim
- Deprecate Vimscript
- POSIX vi-compatibility